Every year I reflect on the progress I make, and adapt my plan for the future. The plans themselves require continuous updating and rarely work out perfectly, yet I always find the exercise of planning both focusing and motivating. My daily goal continues to be to spend more time in my zone of genius as a Cultivator. I have to be creative and focused to find and embrace ways new to connect with others and help them.
By launching this blog I have been able to easily share my thoughts and ideas. The positive results are encouraging me to keep doing more. It is now December 2018 and I am excited about celebrating all the progress of 2018 and planning to explore the new opportunities 2019 is going to bring.
Change is always inevitable so I seek it out, embrace it early, and position myself for a leveraged position to maximize my zone of genius. How?
Seven steps to embrace change and your Zone of Genius:
- Look for something significant that is changing around you and that you care about.
- Ask yourself what outcome in an ideal world would be a win-win scenario. Write it down as a ‘word’ a ‘sentence’ and a ‘paragraph.’
- Imagine that outcome and what role and activities it would mean for you. Look for ways to start doing them immediately, focus on the ‘word’.
- Build relationships with people you see supporting the win-win scenario you envisage and ask them to suggest improvements.
- Plan creative way to, measure (Builder/Architects) or assess (Visionary/Cultivators) both qualitatively and quantitively.
- Review ‘3’. – ‘immediate activities aligned to win win outcomes’ pick and prioritize the one that allows you to connect best with your zone of genius style.
- Seek out opportunities to celebrate the progress and regularly loop back from 2 – 6.
What this looked like for me in 2018.
- The ‘myezog’ web site is aging and under critical review ‘lacks credibility.
- Word: Credibility. Sentence: New modern integrated website that informs and attracts others. Paragraph: Leveraging the learning over the last 6 years I want to be able to share new insights. I also seek to interact with the growing community the ‘ezog’ quiz attracts. The goal is to make a new first impression and offer both substance and conversation.
- Launching a new URL – myzoneofgenius.com and using a flexible site the goal was to reposition the assessment and allow me to produce content in preparation for a ‘planned’ workbook .
- Immediate actions – reserve URL :Change twitter from @ezogmyezog to @myzoneofgenius: Find a wordpress course (thank you the the venture team in Coventry – UK): Opportunities to discuss the progress thank you to my community @venturecafe.
- I reached out to Srinivas Rao at the Unmistakable Creative and he generously offers to do a podcast with me. I also started a monthly newsletter/update to quiz takers.
- Writing short blog posts helped clarify my ideas and provided content for action. 30+ people from one company used the assessment in an offsite and it encouraged me to clarify my business offering and offer insights on collective team dynamics and thinking styles.
- The digital marking side of me @netengage counts community growth and reach – twitter/ outreach etc. The cultivator is stimulated by the 100+ assessments taken every month.
- The new site is launched attracts steady and growing traffic and from the feedback I have solicited has added ‘Credibility’ to the project. Crossing the 10,000 results and our 7 year anniversary were additional milestones this year that support validation and usefulness.
I will be sharing some of my plans for 2019 in the January and look forward to hearing bout some of yours and how I can help.